This recipe is perfect for when you don't feel like spending hours in the kitchen cooking or any other time you feel like it. If you don't want to miss out on recipes like this then make sure you subscribe to our nutrition newsletter.
Shakshouka is a easy to make dish of eggs poached in a spicy tomato and vegetable sauce. It is a quick, easy, and nutritious meal and the name roughly means mixed up, shaken, or a mixture depending on the language/dialect.
Shakshouka (also spelled Shakshuka) is an interesting cultural dish with a mysterious past. It is popular in North African and Israeli cooking and there is disagreement over where it originated from. Some say Shakshuka comes from Yemen others this popular dish comes from North Africa (specifically Tunisia or Ottoman Empire North Africa have been mentioned). It has been compared to Saksuka from the ottoman empire which included meat but no tomatoes.
Please note: This tasty recipe is adapted from Nadia Lims' original Shakshuka recipe https://nadialim.com/one-pan-turkish-eggs-with-hummus-and-feta/
· 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
· 1 onion chopped
· 2 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
· 1 teaspoon ground cumin
· 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
· 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
· 3 tablespoons tomato paste
· 400 g crushed tomatoes can
· ¼ cup water
· 4 free-range eggs
· 4 pieces small flat-bread or pita bread
· ½ cup of chopped coriander
1. Heat oil in a fry pan on medium heat.
2. Cook onion and garlic until soft, 3-4 minutes.
3. Add cumin and smoked paprika and cook for a further 1 minute.
4. Stir in tomato paste, chilli flakes, crushed tomatoes and water.
5. Simmer for 4-5 minutes until the sauce has thickened.
6. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
7. Carefully crack eggs into the simmering sauce to cook.
8. Cover fry pan with a lid and steam for 2 minutes (or until your yolks have reached desired firmness).
9. To serve, top with crumbled feta.
10. Serve with hummus and flatbread on the side and garnish with coriander.
This recipe can be adapted based on what you have in the fridge. However, this recipe has been provided by one of our experienced Dietitians so you know it's good for you.
One-pot recipes are popular for parents and busy professionals across New Zealand. Weather you call it shakshouka or shakshuka this is one tasty shakshuka eggs recipe. This is a healthy alternative to a takeaway as it takes less effort and time than most recipes and uses less dishes. However, if your craving takeaways then that's OK too. It's an easy egg and tomato breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
What is your favourite quick go-to recipe on days when you don't want to cook? If you are interested in recipes make sure to subscribe to our our mailing list to receive nutrition tips, healthy recipes, and resources to support you in your nutrition journey.
Creamy Vegetarian Pumpkin & Ricotta Pasta Bake (can be made DF or GF)
RECIPE: The Nutrition & Life Recipe For Fibre Rich Mexican Stuffed Kumara